Content Assessment: Balancing Onsite and Remote Review Risk and Reward? The Winter 2023 Document Reviewer Preferences Survey - Final Results
Information - 95%
Insight - 96%
Relevance - 97%
Objectivity - 96%
Authority - 98%
A short percentage-based assessment of the qualitative benefit of the post highlighting onsite and remote review preferences of cybersecurity, information governance, and legal discovery document reviewers in the winter of 2023.
Editor’s Note: ComplexDiscovery regularly conducts non-scientific surveys to gain insight into the business of eDiscovery. These surveys include the quarterly eDiscovery Business Confidence Survey, focused on gaining insight into the current confidence of eDiscovery-ecosystem professionals regarding economic factors impacting the creation, delivery, and consumption of eDiscovery products and services. Recently ComplexDiscovery conducted a new business survey focused on understanding the preferences of cybersecurity, information governance, and legal discovery document reviewers regarding onsite and remote review work. The new survey consisted of three background questions designed to provide context to core survey answers. The survey also consisted of seven core multiple-choice questions focused on factors relating to document reviewers’ onsite and remote preferences. Additionally, the survey had one optional question for general reviewer comments and considerations. The results of this new survey may benefit cybersecurity, information governance, and legal discovery professionals seeking to better understand reviewer economic and environmental expectations for both onsite and remote review work.
The Winter 2023 Document Reviewer Preferences Survey Results
Document Reviewer Preferences Survey Questions
Background: What area best describes the geography of your document review efforts?
- North America (US) – 98.6%
- Europe (UK) – 0.8%
- Asia/Asia Pacific – 0.4%
- Europe (Non-UK) – 0.2%
- North America (Canada) – 0.0%
- Middle East/Africa – 0.0%
- Central/South America – 0.0%
Background: What area best describes your qualification to conduct document reviews for cybersecurity, information governance, or legal discovery-related audits, investigations, and litigation?
- Attorney – 94.2%
- Paralegal – 2.5%
- Litigation Support Professional – 0.4%
- Other – 2.9
Background: What area best describes your current level of engagement in the conduct of document reviews?
- Active Current Review (Currently Engaged) – 60.0%
- Active Recent Reviewer (Not Currently Engaged, But Active in Last 24 Months) – 33.0%
- Inactive Reviewer (Not Active in Last 24 Months) – 7.0%
1. Are you interested in remote document review work?
- Yes – 98.8%
- No – 1.2%
2. Are you interested in onsite document review work?
- Yes – 19.8%
- No – 80.2%
3. What factors directly influence your consideration of onsite document review work? (All That Apply)
- More Flexible Schedule from Home – 85.0%
- Time and Cost to Commute – 82.5%
- More Work Hours from Home – 77.5%
- More Efficiency Working from Home – 74.8%
- Proximity of Onsite Locations – 66.6%
- Better Personal Obligation Flexibility from Home – 60.0%
- Better Food Options from Home – 56.5%
- COVID and Other Health Risks – 52.6%
- Less Face-to-Face Interaction with Colleagues at Home – 25.4%
- Other – 8.2%
4. How far would you travel round trip per day for onsite review work?
- Less than 20 Miles – 38.8%
- Between 20 and 40 Miles – 15.9%
- Between 40 and 60 Miles – 3.9%
- Between 60 and 80 Miles – 1.2%
- 80+ Miles – 1.6%
- Would Not Travel – 38.6%
5. If considering both onsite and remote review work, if offered the same pay and benefits, which would you prefer?
- Remote – 96.7%
- Onsite – 2.3%
- No Preference – 1.0%
6. If requiring an incentive to work onsite, what would you expect the additional compensation to be per hour?
- $1 to $2 Per Hour- 1.2%
- $2 to $3 Per Hour – 2.3%
- $3 to $4 Per Hour – 5.0%
- $4 to $5 Per Hour – 11.1%
- $5 to $7 Per Hour – 13.4%
- $7 to $9 Per Hour – 5.6%
- $9+ Per Hour – 54.8%
- No Incentive Required – 6.6%
7. If offered onsite work, what COVID/health risk precautions would you expect to be required? (All That Apply)
- Air Filtering and Purification – 69.3%
- Six Feet Distance Between Seated Co-Workers – 59.6%
- Increased Air Circulation – 59.4%
- As Best as Possible Social Distancing at All Times – 53.8%
- Temperature Checks on Arrival – 29.7%
- (K)N95 Masks Required – 26.0%
- No Eating in Workrooms – 20.0%
- Other – 16.9%
Optional Question: 132 of 515 survey respondents provided comments or considerations that may help understand document reviewer preferences regarding the onsite and remote review. Given the range of responses and the detailed level of information provided, these comments and considerations are not published as part of this final results reporting of unfiltered responses.
Complete Presentation: Market Kinetics – Document Reviewer Preferences – Winter 2023 (PDF) – Mouseover to Scroll
Generative Artificial Intelligence and Large Language Model Use
ComplexDiscovery OÜ recognizes the value of GAI and LLM tools in streamlining content creation processes and enhancing the overall quality of its research, writing, and editing efforts. To this end, ComplexDiscovery OÜ regularly employs GAI tools, including ChatGPT and DALL-E2, to assist, augment, and accelerate the development and publication of both new and revised content in posts and pages published (initiated in late 2022).
ComplexDiscovery also provides a ChatGPT-powered AI article assistant for its users. This feature leverages LLM capabilities to generate relevant and valuable insights related to specific page and post content published on ComplexDiscovery.com. By offering this AI-driven service, ComplexDiscovery OÜ aims to create a more interactive and engaging experience for its users, while highlighting the importance of responsible and ethical use of GAI and LLM technologies.
Have a Request?
If you have information or offering requests that you would like to ask us about, please let us know and we will make our response to you a priority.
ComplexDiscovery is a premier online publication renowned for providing essential insights and intelligence in the realms of cybersecurity, information governance, and legal discovery to professionals navigating these fields. As a leading source of information, the publication expertly combines original research with aggregated news to cater to a highly specialized audience. Committed to enhancing readers’ understanding of relevant topics, ComplexDiscovery stands as an impartial and comprehensive resource for exploring trends, technologies, and services associated with electronically stored information.
The driving force behind this influential publication is ComplexDiscovery OÜ, a technology marketing firm that excels in strategic planning and tactical execution for organizations operating within these sectors. Registered as a private limited company in Estonia, a global leader in digital advancements, ComplexDiscovery OÜ dedicates its primary focus to supporting the publication. The company capitalizes on its virtual presence to provide marketing consulting and services to a diverse array of clients around the world, further solidifying its reputation as a leading voice in the eDiscovery ecosystem.