eDiscovery Mergers, Acquisitions, and Investments in Q3 2018
Since beginning to track the number of publicly highlighted merger, acquisition, and investment (M&A+I) events in the eDiscovery ecosystem, ComplexDiscovery has noted more than 300 M&A+I events between November 2001 and today.
While not all inclusive due to the fact that M&A+I events are not always publicly disclosed, the abridged listing of M&A+I events maintained by ComplexDiscovery notes key industry business moves by sharing event date, company involvement, and event amount (if known).
Based on an aggregate review of the abridged listing through the lens of Q3 2018, the following findings, data points, and tracking charts may be useful for understanding M&A+I activity patterns in the eDiscovery ecosystem from July 1, 2018, through September 27, 2018.
Five Key Findings
- There have been at least six M&A+I events in the eDiscovery ecosystem during Q3 2018. (n=6)
- August was the most active month in Q3 2018 for M&A+I events with at least three total events.
- July was the least active month in Q3 2018 for M&A+I events with one known event.
- The investment pulse rate for the three months of Q3 2018 appears to be congruent with monthly investment patterns since November of 2001
- Q3 2018 investment pulse rate appears to be slightly greater than the investment pulse rate during the same period in Q3 2017. Industry Tracking
M&A+I Data Points
Activity By Month (Q3 2018)
- July – 1
- August – 3
- September – 2
Activity By Month (Q3 2017)
- July – 3
- August – 1
- September – 1
M&A+I Tracking Charts
(Charts Can Be Expanded for Detailed Viewing)
Chart #1: An Overview of Merger, Acquisition, and Investment Events by Calendar Month (2018)Events Per Calendar Month - 2018
Chart #2: Merger, Acquisition, or Investment Events vs. Month (November 2001 Through September 2018)Events Per Calendar Month - 2001-2018 Q3
Chart #3: Merger, Acquisition, or Investment Events vs. Year (November 2001 Through September 2018)Events Per Year - 2001-2018 Q3 Update
Q3 2018 eDiscovery M&A+I Chronology
|Event Date||Acquired (Investee)||Acquirer (Investor)||Amount (Estimated $)|
|20-Sep-18||United Lex (Investee)||CVC Capital Partners (Investor)|
|10-Sep-18||Ringtail eDiscovery Software Business (From FTI Consulting)||Nuix||$55,000,000|
|20-Aug-18||Copy Source One, LTD||iNSERViO3|
|15-Aug-18||Wolfinger Forensics (Merger)||Everest Technologies (Merger)|
|13-Aug-18||Innovative Discovery (Investment)||Silver Oak Services Partners (Investor)|
Investing in eDiscovery Running Listings
- An Abridged Look at the Business of eDiscovery: A Short List of eDiscovery Investors
- An Abridged Look at the Business of eDiscovery: Mergers, Acquisitions, and Investments
2018 Quarterly Listings
- eDiscovery Mergers, Acquisitions, and Investments in Q2 2018
- eDiscovery Mergers, Acquisitions, and Investments in Q1 2018
Source: Original Research
Have a Request?
If you have information or offering requests that you would like to ask us about, please let us know and we will make our response to you a priority.
ComplexDiscovery is an online publication that highlights cyber, data, and legal discovery insight and intelligence ranging from original research to aggregated news for use by cybersecurity, information governance, and eDiscovery professionals. The highly targeted publication seeks to increase the collective understanding of readers regarding cyber, data, and legal discovery information and issues and to provide an objective resource for considering trends, technologies, and services related to electronically stored information.
ComplexDiscovery OÜ is a technology marketing firm providing strategic planning and tactical execution expertise in support of cyber, data, and legal discovery organizations. Focused primarily on supporting the ComplexDiscovery publication, the company is registered as a private limited company in the European Union country of Estonia, one of the most digitally advanced countries in the world. The company operates virtually worldwide to deliver marketing consulting and services.