Editor’s Note: Designed to help provide a general understanding of predictive coding use by eDiscovery professionals, the semi-annual Predictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey has been conducted three times by ComplexDiscovery and has 171 individual respondent submissions since the fall of 2018. One of the informational areas contained in the survey is the request for respondents to share their primary predictive coding platform. Provided in this short overview are the aggregate results of that informational request across all surveys.
The Predictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey
The Predictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey is a non-scientific semi-annual survey designed to help provide a general understanding of the use of predictive coding technologies, protocols, and workflows by data discovery and legal discovery professionals within the eDiscovery ecosystem. The survey offers responders an opportunity to provide predictive coding background information, including their primary predictive coding platform, as well as poses four specific questions to responders. Those questions being:
- Which predictive coding technologies are utilized by your eDiscovery platform?
- Which technology-assisted review protocols are utilized in your delivery of predictive coding?
- What is the primary technology-assisted review workflow utilized in your delivery of predictive coding?
- What are the areas where you use technology-assisted review technologies, protocols, and workflows?
Initiated in the fall of 2018, to date the survey has been administered three times with 171 individual respondents. The survey is open to legal, business, and information professionals operating in the eDiscovery ecosystem and individuals are invited to participate primarily by direct email invitations.
A Short List of Primary Coding Platforms
Based on the aggregate results of the past three surveys, the following overview highlights responses to the informational request regarding primary predictive coding platform as well as highlights the organizational affiliations of survey respondents. While the informational request on primary predictive coding platforms was designed to gather feedback on one primary predictive coding platform provider per respondent, some respondents provided more than one answer to the request, hence the higher number of responses than respondents in the aggregate results.
Ten Top Primary Predictive Coding Platforms
Provided below (Chart 1) is an overview of the predictive coding platforms receiving the most responses from an aggregate survey group of 171 respondents who shared 183 responses. The chart highlights the top ten platforms based on received responses.
Chart 1: Top Ten Predictive Coding Platforms Based on Survey ResponsesPrimary Predictive Coding Platform Overview – Ten Top Platforms
An Aggregate Alphabetical Listing of All Reported Primary Predictive Coding Platforms
Provided below is an alphabetical listing of all predictive coding platforms reported at least once as a primary platform. In some areas where acquisitions have occurred, the latest commercial name of the provider/platform may be represented.
- AccessData (Summation)
- AI Translate (Linguistics Systems)
- CaseData (Canon Discovery Services)
- Computer Associates
- Conduent (Viewpoint)
- Hot Neuron (Clustify)
- iCONECT (Sentio)
- Ipro (Eclipse)
- KLDiscovery (KLD Predictive Coding)
- Lexbe eDiscovery Platform
- Merlin Digital Magic
- Microsoft (Equivio)
- Microsoft (Office 365 Advanced Discovery)
- OpenText (Axcelerate)
- OpenText (Insight Predict)
- Orca Intelligent Review
- Platinum IDS (Cullable)
- Proprietary (CAL)
- Proprietary (Relationship Maps)
- Rational Review
- Thomson Reuters (eDiscovery Point)
- Valora Tech (Powerhouse)
- Venio Assisted Review
An Overview of Responder Roles
Provided below (Chart 2) is an overview of the number of responders for each survey and the aggregate of all surveys based on declared organizational affiliation from one of six presented survey organizational affiliation choices.
Chart 2: Predictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey Responder OverviewPredictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey Responder Overview
- From Platforms to Workflows: Predictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey – Fall 2019 Results
- Actively Learning? Predictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey – Spring 2019 Results
- Relatively Speaking: Predictive Coding Technologies and Protocols Survey – Fall 2018 Results