Content Assessment: Issues Impacting eDiscovery Business Performance: A Summer 2021 Overview
Information - 95%
Insight - 100%
Relevance - 95%
Objectivity - 95%
Authority - 100%
A short percentage-based assessment of the qualitative benefit of the recent post highlighting issues impacting the business of eDiscovery.
Editor’s Note: The results of the recent Summer 2021 eDiscovery Business Confidence Survey present the impact of key issues on the business of eDiscovery. However, for issues and their potential impact on the business of eDiscovery to be fully understood, they should be viewed through the contextual lens of the results of all twenty-three surveys that have been administered to eDiscovery professionals since the inception of the eDiscovery Business Confidence Survey in early 2016.
Initiated in January 2016, the survey has been administered twenty-three times with 2,522 individual responses. The latest survey was administered in the summer of 2021 and had 90 respondents.
Increasing Types of Data: The Current Champion 0f Business Impact Issues
The eDiscovery Business Confidence Survey is a nonscientific quarterly survey designed to provide insight into the business confidence level of individuals working in the eDiscovery ecosystem. The survey consists of nine core multiple-choice questions focused on factors related to the creation, delivery, and consumption of eDiscovery products and services. Additionally, the survey contains three optional questions focused on the business operational metrics of days sales outstanding (DSO), monthly recurring revenue (MRR), and revenue distribution across customer bases.
Initiated in January 2016, the survey has been administered twenty-three times with 2,522 individual responses. The survey is open to legal, business, and information technology professionals operating in the eDiscovery ecosystem, and individuals are invited to participate primarily via direct email invitations.
The latest survey was administered in the summer of 2021 and had 90 respondents in roles that included executive leadership (31.1%), operational management (43.3%), and tactical execution (25.6%). Industry segments represented in the survey included software and service providers (36.7%), law firms (28.9%), consultancies (13.3%), corporations (11.1%), governmental entities (5.6%), media and research professionals (1.1%), and others (3.3%).
One of the questions in the quarterly survey asks participants to select from a listing of six choices the issue they view as potentially having the most impact on their eDiscovery business during the next six months. The issues presented include:
- Budgetary Constraints
- Data Security
- Inadequate Technology
- Increasing Types of Data
- Increasing Volumes of Data
- Lack of Personnel
While not all-inclusive, the listing of issues provides a realistic overview of potential areas that appear to have a direct and ongoing impact on the business of eDiscovery.
Based on the aggregate results of past surveys, the following findings and charted overviews of responses to the question of issues impacting business may be helpful in understanding the collective mindset of many industry experts regarding these issues and their impact on the business of eDiscovery.
Six Key Findings in the Summer of 2021
- In the summer of 2021, 24.4% of respondents viewed increasing types of data as potentially having the greatest business impact on their business in the next six months. This percentage is the highest of all concerns represented in the summer 2021 survey. This percentage is also the second-highest rating in the area of increasing types of data concerns since the inception of the survey in the winter of 2016. This is also the fourth time in twenty-three surveys that the issue of increasing types of data has been the top concern or tied for the top concern by survey respondents. (Charts 1,2, and 3)
- The percentage of respondents that viewed increasing volumes of data as a top business concern increased in the last quarter from 19.0% in the spring of 2021 to 20.0% in the summer of 2021. This is the highest rating in the area of data volume concerns since the summer of 2016 survey. (Chart 4)
- Lack of personnel continued to be a consistent concern for eDiscovery professionals with 20.0% of summer 2021 survey respondents viewing lack of personnel challenges as potentially having a substantial impact on business in the next six months. This was a strong increase in this area from the 11.0% response rate in the spring 2021 survey. (Chart 5)
- The percentage of respondents that viewed budgetary constraints as a top business issue decreased 7.2% from the last quarter and is now viewed as the top concern by 17.8% of survey respondents. (Chart 6)
- The impact of data security on eDiscovery business performance strongly decreased during the last quarter and is now the top concern for 8.9% of respondents, down from 14.0% in the spring of 2021. (Chart 7)
- In the summer of 2021, the impact of inadequate technology as the top business issue decreased slightly by 0.1% from the last quarter and is now viewed as the top concern by 8.9% of survey respondents. This is the lowest rating of any business performance impact concern in the summer 2021 survey. It is also is the twenty-first time in twenty-three surveys that the impact of inadequate technology has been rated as the lowest area of business performance concern by survey respondents. (Chart 8)
Considering Twenty-Three Quarters of Results from 2016 to 2021
From a top issue perspective, the following potential issues and the number of quarterly times they have been considered the top concern by survey respondents is shared to create context as to the continuing concerns of eDiscovery professionals.
- Budgetary Constraints: 14*
- Increasing Volumes of Data: 6*
- Increasing Types of Data: 4
- Data Security: 0
- Lack of Personnel: 0
- Inadequate Technology: 0
* Top concern tie between Budgetary Constraints and Increasing Volumes of Data in the Winter of 2017.
(Charts Can Be Expanded for Detailed Viewing)
Chart 1: An Aggregate Overview of Issues Impacting eDiscovery Business Performance1 – Issues Impacting eDiscovery Business Performance – Summer 2021
Chart 2: An Overview of Issues Impacting eDiscovery Business Performance in the Summer of 20212 – Issues Impacting eDiscovery Business Performance – Summer 2021
Chart 3: An Overview of the Percentage of Respondents Viewing Increasing Types of Data as the Top Issue Impacting eDiscovery Business3 – Impact of Increasing Types of Data on eDiscovery Business – Summer 2021
Chart 4: An Overview of the Percentage of Respondents Viewing Increasing Volumes of Data as the Top Issue Impacting eDiscovery Business4 – Impact of Increasing Volumes of Data on eDiscovery Business – Summer 2021
Chart 5: An Overview of the Percentage of Respondents Viewing Lack of Personnel as the Top Issue Impacting eDiscovery Business5 – Impact of Lack of Personnel on eDiscovery Business – Summer 2021
Chart 6: An Overview of the Percentage of Respondents Viewing Budgetary Constraints as the Top Issue Impacting eDiscovery Business6 – Impact of Budgetary Constraints on eDiscovery Business – 2021
Chart 7: An Overview of the Percentage of Respondents Viewing Data Security as the Top Issue Impacting eDiscovery Business7 – Impact of Data Security on eDiscovery Business – Summer 2021
Chart 8: An Overview of the Percentage of Respondents Viewing Inadequate Technology as the Top Issue Impacting eDiscovery Business8 – Impact of Inadequate Technology on eDiscovery Business – Summer 2021
Chart 9: Survey Participant Overview9 – Survey Respondents (Individual and Aggregate Overview) – Summer 2021
Past Survey Results
- Summer 2021 Survey (22 June – 6 July 2021)
- Spring 2021 Survey (28 March – 11 April 2021)
- Winter 2021 Survey (3 January – 12 January 2021)
- Fall 2020 Survey (21 September – 1 October 2020)
- Summer 2020 Survey (26 June – 10 July 2020)
- Spring 2020 Survey (2 April – 15 April 2020)
- Winter 2020 Survey (28 December 2019 – 11 January 2020)
- Fall 2019 Survey (29 September – 17 October 2019)
- Summer 2019 Survey (1 July – 17 July 2019)
- Spring 2019 Survey (1 April – 18 April 2019)
- Winter 2019 Survey (27 December 2018 – January 10, 2019)
- Fall 2018 Survey (14 October – 26 October 2018)
- Summer 2018 Survey (4 July – 24 July 2018)
- Spring 2018 Survey (7 April – 20 April 2018)
- Winter 2018 Survey (24 December 17 – 15 January 2018)
- Fall 2017 Survey (5 October – 17 October 2017)
- Summer 2017 Survey (6 July – 31 July 2017)
- Spring 2017 Survey (14 April – 1 May 2017)
- Winter 2017 Survey (20 January – 6 February 2017)
- Fall 2016 Survey (11 October – 1 December 2016)
- Summer 2016 Survey (1 August – 31 August 2016)
- Spring 2016 Survey (1 May – 31 May 2016)
- Winter 2016 Survey (15 February – 29 February 2016)
- An eDiscovery Market Size Mashup: 2020-2025 Worldwide Software and Services Overview
- Assessing Providers? The New Worldwide eDiscovery Services MarketScape from IDC