Content Assessment: Resetting the Baseline? eDiscovery Market Size Adjustments for 2020
Information - 95%
Insight - 95%
Relevance - 100%
Objectivity - 90%
Authority - 090%
A short percentage-based assessment of the qualitative benefit of the newly published overview of eDiscovery market size adjustments stemming from the unanticipated pandemeconomic conditions of 2020.
Editor’s Note: Given the unanticipated pandemeconomic conditions thrust upon the eDiscovery ecosystem in 2020, forward-looking eDiscovery market size and growth estimates developed in pre-COVID times require a resetting of the current market size baseline. This resetting of the market size baseline warrants the inclusion of direct, indirect, and anecdotal data points* that can inform reasonable adjustments used to determine where we may be today in terms of market size and can help in forecasting market growth. From market retractions to revised market sizing for the core eDiscovery tasks of collection, processing, and review, the following adjustments may be helpful for eDiscovery decision-makers as they consider the size of the eDiscovery market for 2020 and beyond.
Resetting the eDiscovery Market Size Baseline in 2020
The following market size adjustments may be helpful for business, legal, and IT professionals as they consider market opportunity and plan for market growth in 2020 and beyond. These adjustments assume that the relative percentage costs for the overall tasks of collection (13%), processing (19%), and review (68%) remain the same as forecast for 2020 even in the face of the current pandemeconomic conditions. These adjustments also assume that the percentage distribution of non-governmental (53%) and governmental (47%) eDiscovery spending also remains the same as forecast for 2020. Additionally, these adjustments assume that while first-quarter spending in 2020 was approximately the same as originally forecasted, that second, third, and fourth quarter eDiscovery spending have been and currently are being strongly impacted by pandemeconomic factors resulting in a market size percentage retraction mirroring U.S. Real Gross Output retraction for both private services (32.6%) and governmental services (7.6%) as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis for the second quarter of 2020.
Chart 1 – Pandemeconomic Market Size Adjustment for eDiscovery for 20201 – Pandemeconomic eDiscovery Market Size Adjustment in 2020
Chart 2 – eDiscovery Software and Services Market Size Retraction in 20202 – eDiscovery Software and Services Market Size Retraction in 2020
Chart 3 – eDiscovery Market Size Retraction for Collection in 20203 – eDiscovery Market for Collection in 2020
Chart 4 – Relative Task Expenditure Update for Collection in 20204 – Relative Task Expenditures for Core Collection Tasks in 2020
Chart 5 – Onsite and Remote Collection Market Adjustments in 20205 – eDiscovery Market for Onsite and Remote Collection in 2020
Chart 6 – eDiscovery Market Size Retraction for Processing in 20206 – eDiscovery Market for Processing in 2020
Chart 7 – eDiscovery Market Size Retraction for Review in 20207 – eDiscovery Market for Review in 2020
Chart 8 – Relative Task Expenditure Update for Review in 20208 – Relative Task Expenditures for Core Review Tasks in 2020
Chart 9 – Onsite and Remote Review Market Adjustments in 20209 – eDiscovery Market for Onsite and Remote Review in 2020
*Market Size Sources
Sources for eDiscovery market sizing estimations and recent adjustments have been aggregated since the initial eDiscovery Market Size Mashup published in 2012 and are included in a model that is used to develop annual eDiscovery market size mashups. These sources include but are not limited to publicly available content (including abstracts, excerpts, quotes, references, and data points) from the following pre-COVID (up to March 2020) and post-COVID (March 2020 and beyond) sources.
Post-COVID (Planning for 2021 eDiscovery Market Size Mashup – To Be Published)
- U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (Department of Commerce), 2020. Gross Domestic Product (Third Estimate), Corporate Profits (Revised), And GDP By Industry, Second Quarter 2020. [online] Available at: <https://www.bea.gov/news/2020/gross-domestic-product-third-estimate-corporate-profits-revised-and-gdp-industry-annual> [Accessed 25 October 2020].
- Selected Industry eDiscovery Analysts (Discussion), 2020. eDiscovery Market Forecasting. October 19, 2020.
- ComplexDiscovery. “2020 eDiscovery Business Confidence Surveys. (Running Listing).” October 2020.
- Industry eDiscovery Providers (Discussion), 2020. eDiscovery Market Forecasting. September 29, 2020.
- IDC. “Worldwide eDiscovery Services Forecast, 2020-2024.” Ryan O’Leary. September 2020.
- Selected Industry Investors (Discussion), 2020. eDiscovery Market Forecasting. September 15, 2020.
- IDC. “Worldwide eDiscovery Software Forecast, 2020-2024.” Ryan O’Leary. June 2020.
- ComplexDiscovery. “Home or Away? New eDiscovery Market Sizing and Pricing Considerations.” June 15, 2020.
- ComplexDiscovery. “Summer 2020 eDiscovery Pricing Survey Results.” May 2020.
- ComplexDiscovery. “Revisions and Decisions? New Considerations for eDiscovery Secure Remote Reviews.” May 4, 2020.
- Selected Industry eDiscovery Providers (Discussion), 2020. eDiscovery Market Forecasting. May 1, 2020.
Pre-COVID (2020 eDiscovery Market Size Mashup)
- ComplexDiscovery. “2019 eDiscovery Business Confidence Surveys. (Running Listing).” November 2019.
- Relativity Fest Panel. “State of the eDiscovery Union.” Panelist Ryan O’Leary (IDC). October 22, 2019.
- IDC. “IDC Marketscape: Worldwide eDiscovery SaaS Review Software Assessment.” Ryan O’Leary. August 12, 2019.
- Gartner, Inc. “Market Guide for E-Discovery Solutions.” Julian Tirsu, Michael Hoeck. June 27, 2019.
- ComplexDiscovery. “Summer 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey Results.” June 2019.
- KL Discovery. “Investor Presentation.” Pivotal, KL Discovery. May 2019.
- Gartner, Inc. “Defining Your E-Discovery Process Will Lower Costs and Reduce Risks.” Julian Tirsu. March 29, 2019.
- Georgetown Law Center for the Study of the Legal Profession and the Thomson Reuters Legal Executive Institute. “2019 Report on the State of the Legal Market.” January 2019.
- ComplexDiscovery. “Winter 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey Results.” December 2018.
- ComplexDiscovery. “2018 eDiscovery Business Confidence Surveys. (Running Listing).” November 2018.
- FRONTEO. “Form 20-F (073118).” UBIC Annual Report for Foreign Investors. July 2018.
- IDC. “Worldwide eDiscovery Software Forecast, 2018-2022.” Ryan O’Leary, Sean Pike. June 2018.
- Markets and Markets. “eDiscovery Market by Component, Deployment Type, Organizational Size, Vertical, and Region – Global Forecast to 2023.” June 2018.
- Georgetown Law Center for the Study of the Legal Profession and the Thomson Reuters Legal Executive Institute. “2018 Report on the State of the Legal Market.” January 2018.
- Greentarget. “2018 Legal Industry Outlook.” January 2018.
- Catalyst Investors. “Legal Tech Market Overview.” Kirk Mahoney. November 29, 2017.
- Gartner, Inc. “Market Guide for E-Discovery Solutions.” Julian Tirsu, Garth Landers, Shane Harris. October 24, 2017.
- P&S Market Research. “eDiscovery Market for Software and Services.” October 18, 2017.
- ComplexDiscovery. eDiscovery Business Confidence Surveys – Running Listing. ComplexDiscovery. October 18, 2017.
- Forbes. “Global Legal Tech Is Transforming Service Delivery.” Mark A. Cohen. August 29, 2017.
- Aberdeen. “Key Strategies To Improve The Performance Of E-Discovery Teams.” Michael Caton. August 2017
- IDC. “Worldwide eDiscovery Services Market Shares, 2016: Global Leaders Emerge Through Industry Consolidation.” Angela Gelnaw. June 2017.
- ACG Partner. “Legal Tech: Seeded and Ready to Launch.”, Trevor Martin, Ben Howe, Jon Guido, Fred Joseph. April 2017.
- IDC. “Marketscape: Worldwide eDiscovery Services 2017 Vendor Assessment.” Angela Gelnaw. March 2017.
- ComplexDiscovery. Annual eDiscovery Market Size Mashups – 2012 – 2017, ComplexDiscovery, March 4, 2017.
- Zion Market Research. “eDiscovery Market for Government, Regulatory Agencies, Enterprises, and Law Firms.” November 23, 2016.
- Markets and Markets. “E-Discovery Market by Solution, Service, Deployment Type, and Vertical – Global Forecast to 2021.” November 2016.
- Future Market Insights (FMI). “eDiscovery Market Analysis – Global Industry Analysis and Opportunity Assessment.” July 5, 2016.
- IDC. “Worldwide eDiscovery Software Market Forecast, 2016-2020: Back to Basics.” Angela Gelnaw. June 30, 2016.
- Gartner, Inc. “Market Guide for E-Discovery Solutions.” Jie Zhang. June 30, 2016.
- U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration. “2016 Top Markets Report – Cloud Computing.” April 14, 2016.
- IDC. “Worldwide eDiscovery Services Forecast 2014-2019.” Sean Pike, Angela Gelnaw. December 2015.
- Gartner, Inc. “Critical Capabilities for E-Discovery Software.” Jie Zhang, Garth Landers. October 6, 2015.
- Transparency Market Research. “eDiscovery Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2014-2022.” July 6, 2015
- Markets and Markets. “E-Discovery Market By Solution, Deployment, Industry, & Region – Global Forecast to 2020.” July 2015.
- Global Industry Analysts, Inc. “eDiscovery (Software and Services) Global Strategic Business Report.” May 28, 2015.
- Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for E-Discovery Software.” Jie Zhang, Garth Landers. May 18, 2015.
- The Radicati Group. “eDiscovery Market, 2014-2018.” Sara Radicati. December 3, 2014.
- Transparency Market Research. “eDiscovery Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2014-2020).” June 2014.
- Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for E-Discovery Software.” Jie Zhang, Debra Logan, Garth Landers. June 19, 2014.
- IDC. “Worldwide eDiscovery Software 2014-2018 Forecast.” Sean Pike. May 2014.
- The Radicati Group. “eDiscovery Market, 2013-2017.” Sara Radicati. August 2013.
- Gartner, Inc. “Magic Quadrant for E-Discovery Software.” Debra Logan, Alan Dayley, Sheila Childs. June 10, 2013.
- The Radicati Group. “eDiscovery Market, 2012-2016.” Sara Radicati, Todd Yamasaki. October 2012.
- Transparency Market Research. “World e-Discovery Software & Service Market Study.” August 2012.
- Rand Institute For Civil Justice. “Where the Money Goes: Understanding Litigant Expenditures for Producing Electronic Discovery.” Nicolas Pace and Laura Zakaras. April 2012.
- IDC. “MarketScape: Worldwide Standalone Early Case Assessment Applications Vendor Analysis.” Vivian Tero. September 19, 2011.
- Industry Observer Estimations (Multiple Observers)
- Home or Away? New eDiscovery Collection Market Sizing and Pricing Considerations (June 2020)
- Revisions and Decisions? New Considerations for eDiscovery Secure Remote Reviews (May 2020)
- An eDiscovery Market Size Mashup: 2019-2024 Worldwide Software and Services Overview (November 2019)
Have a Request?
If you have information or offering requests that you would like to ask us about, please let us know and we will make our response to you a priority.
ComplexDiscovery is an online publication that highlights cyber, data, and legal discovery insight and intelligence ranging from original research to aggregated news for use by cybersecurity, information governance, and eDiscovery professionals. The highly targeted publication seeks to increase the collective understanding of readers regarding cyber, data, and legal discovery information and issues and to provide an objective resource for considering trends, technologies, and services related to electronically stored information.
ComplexDiscovery OÜ is a technology marketing firm providing strategic planning and tactical execution expertise in support of cyber, data, and legal discovery organizations. Focused primarily on supporting the ComplexDiscovery publication, the company is registered as a private limited company in the European Union country of Estonia, one of the most digitally advanced countries in the world. The company operates virtually worldwide to deliver marketing consulting and services.