The Semi-Annual eDiscovery Pricing Survey
Based on the complexity of data and legal discovery, it is a continual challenge to fully understand what is representative of industry-standard pricing for the delivery of eDiscovery products and services. With this challenge in mind, the semi-annual eDiscovery Pricing Survey is designed to provide insight into eDiscovery pricing through the lens of 15 specific questions answered by legal, business, and information professionals operating in the eDiscovery ecosystem. The survey was first administered in December of 2018 and has been conducted four times during the last two years with 334 aggregate individual responses.
The eDiscovery Pricing Survey is a non-scientific and non-comprehensive survey and consists of 15 multiple choice questions focused on information and metrics related to eDiscovery pricing for collection, processing, and review tasks. The survey is open to legal, business, and information technology professionals operating in the eDiscovery ecosystem, and individuals are invited to participate semi-annually primarily by direct email invitation from ComplexDiscovery and leading industry educational partners to include the Association of Certified E-Discovery Specialists (ACEDS).
While individual respondent answers to the pricing survey are confidential, the anonymized aggregate results for all previously administered surveys are published below without commentary. These results highlight eDiscovery pricing on selected collection, processing, and review tasks as seen by survey respondents since the inception of the survey in December of 2018. The aggregate results of all surveys as shared in comparative charts may be helpful for understanding pricing and its impact on purchasing behavior on selected services over time.
Comparative Charts: A Look at Four Surveys
n=334 Respondents (Aggregate All Surveys)
1. What is the per hour cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?1-Collection-Pricing-Per-Hour-Cost-for-a-Collection-by-a-Forensic-Examiner
2. What is the per device cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?2-Collection-Pricing-Per-Device-Cost-for-a-Collection-by-a-Forensic-Examiner
3. What is the per hour cost for analysis and expert witness support by a forensic examiner?3-Collection-Pricing-Per-Hour-Cost-for-Analysis-and-Expert-Witness-Support-from-a-Forensic-Examiner
4. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at ingestion?4-Processing-Pricing-Per-GB-Cost-to-Process-ESI-Based-on-Volume-at-Ingestion
5. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at completion of processing?5-Processing-Pricing-Per-GB-Cost-to-Process-ESI-Based-on-Volume-at-Completion-of-Processing
6. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information without analytics?6-Processing-Pricing-Per-GB-Cost-Per-Month-to-Host-ESI-without-Analytics
7. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information with analytics?7-Processing-Pricing-Per-GB-Cost-Per-Month-to-Host-ESI-with-Analytics
8. What is the user license fee per month for access to hosted data?8-Processing-Pricing-User-License-Fee-Per-Month-for-Access-to-Hosted-Data
9. What is the per hour cost of project management support for eDiscovery?9-Processing-Pricing-Per-Hour-Cost-of-Project-Management-Support-for-eDiscovery
10. What is the per GB cost to conduct predictive coding as part of technology-assisted review during the document review phase of eDiscovery?10-Review-Pricing-Per-GB-Cost-to-Conduct-Predictive-Coding-in-a-Technology-Assisted Review
11. What is the cost per hour for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?11-Review-Pricing-Per-Hour-Cost-for-Document-Review-Attorneys-to-Review-Documents
12. What is the cost per document for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?12-Review-Pricing-Per-Document-Cost-for-Document-Review-Attorneys-to-Review-Documents
13. In which geographical region do you primarily conduct eDiscovery-related business?13-Survey-Respondents-by-Geographic-Region
14. Which of the following segments best describes your business in eDiscovery?14-Survey-Respondents-by-Organizational-Segment
15. What area best describes your primary function in the conduct of your organization’s eDiscovery business?15-Survey-Respondents-by-Primary-Function
An Aggregate Overview of Survey Responses (Four Surveys)16-Survey-Respondents-Aggregate-Overview
Past eDiscovery Pricing Surveys
- Summer 2020 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (May 2020)
- Winter 2020 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (December 2020)
- Summer 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (June 2019)
- Winter 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (December 2018)
Have a Request?
If you have information or offering requests that you would like to ask us about, please let us know and we will make our response to you a priority.
ComplexDiscovery is an online publication that highlights cyber, data, and legal discovery insight and intelligence ranging from original research to aggregated news for use by cybersecurity, information governance, and eDiscovery professionals. The highly targeted publication seeks to increase the collective understanding of readers regarding cyber, data, and legal discovery information and issues and to provide an objective resource for considering trends, technologies, and services related to electronically stored information.
ComplexDiscovery OÜ is a technology marketing firm providing strategic planning and tactical execution expertise in support of cyber, data, and legal discovery organizations. Focused primarily on supporting the ComplexDiscovery publication, the company is registered as a private limited company in the European Union country of Estonia, one of the most digitally advanced countries in the world. The company operates virtually worldwide to deliver marketing consulting and services.