The eDiscovery Pricing Survey
The eDiscovery Pricing Survey is a non-scientific and non-comprehensive survey designed to provide general insight into eDiscovery pricing as shared by individuals working in the eDiscovery ecosystem. The survey consists of 15 multiple choice questions focused on information and metrics related to eDiscovery pricing for collection, processing, and review tasks. The survey is open to legal, business, security, and information technology professionals operating in the eDiscovery ecosystem and individuals are invited to participate by ComplexDiscovery primarily via direct email invitations.
Winter 2019 Survey Results
The winter 2019 survey response period was initiated on December 3, 2018, and closed on December 11, 2018, with 68 respondents participating in this initial eDiscovery Pricing Survey.
While individual respondent answers to the pricing survey are confidential, the anonymized aggregate results of the 15 question multiple-choice survey are published below without commentary. These results highlight eDiscovery pricing on selected collection, processing, and review tasks as seen by survey respondents in the winter of 2019.
eDiscovery Pricing Survey Questions (Required)
1. What is the per hour cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?
- Less than $250 per hour. 20.6%
- Between $250 and $350 per hour. 58.8%
- Greater than $350 per hour. 7.4%
- Do not know. 13.2%
2. What is the per device cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?
- Less than $250 per device. 16.2%
- Between $250 and $350 per device. 29.4%
- Greater than $350 per device. 33.8%
- Do not know. 20.6%
3. What is the per hour cost for analysis and expert witness support by a forensic examiner?
- Less than $350 per hour. 22.1%
- Between $350 and $550 per hour. 52.9%
- Greater than $550 per hour. 2.9%
- Do not know. 22.1%
4. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at ingestion?
- Less than $25 per GB. 36.8%
- Between $25 and $75 per GB. 39.7%
- Greater than $75 per GB. 19.1%
- Do not know. 4.4%
5. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at completion of processing?
- Less than $100 per GB. 35.3%
- Between $100 and $150 per GB. 33.8%
- Greater than $150 per GB. 14.7%
- Do not know. 16.2%
6. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information without analytics?
- Less than $10 per GB per month. 25.0%
- Between $10 and $20 per GB per month. 51.4%
- Greater than $20 per GB per month. 16.2%
- Do not know. 7.4%
7. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information with analytics?
- Less than $15 per GB per month. 26.5%
- Between $15 and $25 per GB per month. 30.9%
- Greater than $25 per GB per month. 32.3%
- Do not know. 10.3%
8. What is the user license fee per month for access to hosted data?
- Less than $50 per user per month. 20.6%
- Between $50 and $100 per user per month. 63.2%
- Greater than $100 per user per month. 8.8%
- Do not know. 7.4%
9. What is the per hour cost of project management support for eDiscovery?
- Less than $100 per hour. 5.9%
- Between $100 and $200 per hour. 61.8%
- Greater than $200 per hour. 27.9%
- Do not know. 4.4%
10. What is the per GB cost to conduct predictive coding as part of technology-assisted review during the document review phase of eDiscovery?
- Less than $75 per GB. 38.2%
- Between $75 and $150 per GB. 33.8%
- Greater than $150 per GB. 3.0%
- Do not know. 25.0%
11. What is the cost per hour for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?
- Less than $25 per hour. 0.0%
- Between $25 and $40 per hour. 48.5%
- Greater than $40 per hour. 35.3%
- Do not know. 16.2%
12. What is the cost per document for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?
- Less than $0.50 per document. 7.4%
- Between $0.50 and $1.00 per document. 38.2%
- Great than $1.00 per document. 19.1%
- Do not know. 35.3%
13. In which geographical region do you primarily conduct eDiscovery-related business?
- North America – United States – 91.2%
- North America – Canada – 4.4%
- Asia/Asia Pacific – 1.5%
- Europe – United Kingdom – 2.9%
- Europe – Non-UK – 0.0%
- Central/South America – 0.0%
- Middle East/Africa – 0.0%
14. Which of the following segments best describes your business in eDiscovery?
- Software and/or Services Provider – 29.4%
- Law Firm – 38.2%
- Consultancy – 19.1%
- Government Entity – 7.4%
- Corporation – 4.4%
- Media/Research Organization/Educational Association – 1.5%
15. What area best describes your primary function in the conduct of your organization’s eDiscovery business?
- Legal/Litigation Support – 76.5%
- Business/Business Support (All Other Business Functions) – 19.1%
- IT/Product Development -4.4%
* eDiscovery Pricing Index: A normalized average of price relative to a set of twelve eDiscovery offerings (eDiscovery Market Basket) for a given interval of time.
Generative Artificial Intelligence and Large Language Model Use
ComplexDiscovery OÜ recognizes the value of GAI and LLM tools in streamlining content creation processes and enhancing the overall quality of its research, writing, and editing efforts. To this end, ComplexDiscovery OÜ regularly employs GAI tools, including ChatGPT, Claude 2, Midjourney, and DALL-E3, to assist, augment, and accelerate the development and publication of both new and revised content in posts and pages published (initiated in late 2022).
ComplexDiscovery also provides a ChatGPT-powered AI article assistant for its users. This feature leverages LLM capabilities to generate relevant and valuable insights related to specific page and post content published on ComplexDiscovery.com. By offering this AI-driven service, ComplexDiscovery OÜ aims to create a more interactive and engaging experience for its users, while highlighting the importance of responsible and ethical use of GAI and LLM technologies.
Have a Request?
If you have information or offering requests that you would like to ask us about, please let us know, and we will make our response to you a priority.
ComplexDiscovery is a distinguished digital publication that delivers journalistic insights into cybersecurity, information governance, and eDiscovery developments and technologies. It adeptly navigates the intersection of these sectors with international business and current affairs, transforming relevant developments into informational news stories. This unique editorial approach enables professionals to gain a broader perspective on the intricacies of the digital landscape for informed strategic decision-making.
Incorporated in Estonia, a nation celebrated for its digital innovation, ComplexDiscovery OÜ adheres to the most rigorous standards of journalistic integrity. The publication diligently analyzes global trends, assesses technological breakthroughs, and offers in-depth appraisals of services involving electronically stored information. By contextualizing complex legal technology issues within the broader narrative of worldwide commerce and current events, ComplexDiscovery provides its readership with indispensable insights and a nuanced understanding of the eDiscovery industry.