Content Assessment: High Five? An Aggregate Overview of Five Semi-Annual eDiscovery Pricing Surveys
Information - 95%
Insight - 95%
Relevance - 100%
Objectivity - 95%
Authority - 95%
A short percentage-based assessment of the qualitative benefit of an aggregate overview of five semi-annual eDiscovery pricing surveys as conducted and published by ComplexDiscovery.
Editor’s Note: First administered in December of 2018 and conducted five times during the last two years with 413 individual responses, the semi-annual eDiscovery Pricing Survey seeks to provide a mechanism for legal, business, and information technology professionals in the eDiscovery ecosystem to share and understand current pricing trends on a market basket of twelve specific tasks from the areas of collection, processing, and review.
As we are in the midst of a pandemic that has dramatically influenced the eDiscovery ecosystem, we are still seeking to understand the pandemic’s impact on pricing economics. With the need for understanding in mind, the aggregated results of five semi-annual eDiscovery Pricing Surveys may be helpful for discovery professionals as they consider current pricing sentiment through the lens of the past with an eye toward the future.
The eDiscovery Pricing Survey
The eDiscovery Pricing Survey is designed to provide insight into industry pricing through the lens of 12 pricing questions answered by legal, business, and information technology professionals operating in the eDiscovery ecosystem. The non-scientific and non-comprehensive survey questions are focused on general pricing for a specific selection of collection, processing, and review tasks. The survey is not designed to be all-inclusive but designed to provide a general overview of the pricing landscape for study, consideration, and use by individuals and organizations with both a direct and indirect interest in the economics of eDiscovery.
While individual respondent answers to the pricing survey are confidential, the anonymized aggregate results for all five previously administered semi-annual surveys are published below without commentary. These results highlight eDiscovery pricing on selected collection, processing, and review tasks as seen by survey respondents since the inception of the survey in December of 2018. The aggregate results of all surveys as shared in comparative charts may be helpful for understanding pricing and its impact on purchasing behavior on selected services over time.
Comparative Charts: A Look at Five Surveys
n=413 Respondents (Aggregate All Surveys)
1. What is the per hour cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?1 – Collection Pricing Per Hour Cost for a Collection by a Forensic Examiner – Aggregate
2. What is the per device cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?2 – Collection Pricing Per Device Cost for a Collection by a Forensic Examiner – Aggregate
3. What is the per hour cost for analysis and expert witness support by a forensic examiner?3 – Collection Pricing – Per Hour Cost for Analysis and Expert Witness Support from a Forensic Examiner – Aggregate
4. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at ingestion?4 – Processing Pricing Per GB Cost to Process ESI Based on Volume at Ingestion – Aggregate
5. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at completion of processing?5 – Processing Pricing Per GB Cost to Process ESI Based on Volume at Completion of Processing – Aggregate
6. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information without analytics?6 – Processing Pricing Per GB Cost Per Month to Host ESI without Analytics – Aggregate
7. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information with analytics?7 – Processing Pricing Per GB Cost Per Month to Host ESI with Analytics – Aggregate
8. What is the user license fee per month for access to hosted data?8 – Processing Pricing User License Fee Per Month for Access to Hosted Data – Aggregate
9. What is the per hour cost of project management support for eDiscovery?9 – Processing Pricing Per Hour Cost of Project Management Support for eDiscovery – Aggregate
10. What is the per GB cost to conduct predictive coding as part of technology-assisted review during the document review phase of eDiscovery?10 – Review Pricing Per GB Cost to Conduct Predictive Coding in a Technology-Assisted Review – Aggregate
11. What is the cost per hour for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?11 – Review Pricing – Per Hour Cost for Document Review Attorneys to Review Documents – Aggregate
12. What is the cost per document for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?12 – Review Pricing Per Document Cost for Document Review Attorneys to Review Documents – Aggregate
13. In which geographical region do you primarily conduct eDiscovery-related business?13 – Survey Respondents by Geographic Region – Aggregate
14. Which of the following segments best describes your business in eDiscovery?14 – Survey Respondents by Organizational Segment – Aggregate
15. What area best describes your primary function in the conduct of your organization’s eDiscovery business?15 – Survey Respondents by Primary Function – Aggregate
An Aggregate Overview of Survey Responses (Five Surveys)16 – Survey Respondents – Individual and Aggregate Overview
Past eDiscovery Pricing Surveys
- Winter 2021 eDiscvoery Pricing Survey (December 2020)
- Summer 2020 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (May 2020)
- Winter 2020 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (December 2019)
- Summer 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (June 2019)
- Winter 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (December 2018)