Content Assessment: Checking Your Six? An Aggregate Overview of Six Semi-Annual eDiscovery Pricing Surveys
Information - 95%
Insight - 90%
Relevance - 95%
Objectivity - 100%
Authority - 100%
A short percentage-based assessment of the qualitative benefit of an aggregate overview of six semi-annual eDiscovery pricing surveys as conducted and published by ComplexDiscovery.
Editor’s Note: Initiated in the winter of 2019 and conducted six times during the last three years with 518 individual responses, the semi-annual eDiscovery Pricing Survey provides a mechanism for legal, business, and information technology professionals in the eDiscovery ecosystem to share and understand current pricing trends on selected collection, processing, and review tasks.
As we emerge from a pandemic that has dramatically influenced the eDiscovery ecosystem, we are still seeking to understand the long-term impact of the pandemic on pricing economics. With the need for this understanding in mind, the aggregated results of six semi-annual eDiscovery Pricing Surveys may be helpful for discovery professionals as they consider current pricing sentiment through the lens of the past and with an eye toward the future.
The eDiscovery Pricing Survey
The eDiscovery Pricing Survey is designed to provide insight into industry pricing through the lens of 12 pricing questions answered by legal, business, and information technology professionals operating in the eDiscovery ecosystem. The questions are focused on general pricing for a specific selection of collection, processing, and review tasks. The survey is not designed to be all-inclusive but designed to provide a general overview of the pricing landscape.
Aggregate Results: Six Surveys
While individual respondent answers to the pricing survey are confidential, the anonymized aggregate results for all six previously administered semi-annual surveys are published below without commentary. These results highlight eDiscovery pricing on selected tasks as seen by survey respondents since the inception of the survey in the winter of 2019.
Survey Results Update: An Alternative Addition
The summer 2021 survey provided respondents with an additional response option to pricing questions. The new option allowed respondents to note the use of an alternative pricing model. This new option is reported for the first time in summer 2021 results, thus not reported or depicted in the results of the initial five semi-annual surveys.
Comparative Charts: A Look at Six Surveys
n=518 Respondents (Aggregate All Surveys)
1. What is the per hour cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?1 – Collection Pricing – Per Hour Cost for a Collection by a Forensic Examiner – Aggregate Summer 2021
2. What is the per device cost for a collection by a forensic examiner?2 – Collection Pricing – Per Device Cost for a Collection by a Forensic Examiner – Aggregate Summer 2021
3. What is the per hour cost for analysis and expert witness support by a forensic examiner?3 – Collection Pricing – Per Hour Cost for Analysis and Expert Witness Support from a Forensic Examiner – Aggregate Summer 2021
4. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at ingestion?4 – Processing Pricing – Per GB Cost to Process ESI Based on Volume at Ingestion – Aggregate Summer 2021
5. What is the per GB cost to process electronically stored information based on volume at completion of processing?5 – Processing Pricing – Per GB Cost to Process ESI Based on Volume at Completion of Processing – Aggregate Summer 2021
6. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information without analytics?6 – Processing Pricing – Per GB Cost Per Month to Host ESI without Analytics – Aggregate Summer 2021
7. What is the per GB per month cost to host electronically stored information with analytics?7 – Processing Pricing – Per GB Cost Per Month to Host ESI with Analytics – Aggregate Summer 2021
8. What is the user license fee per month for access to hosted data?8 – Processing Pricing – User License Fee Per Month for Access to Hosted Data – Aggregate Summer 2021
9. What is the per hour cost of project management support for eDiscovery?9 – Processing Pricing – Per Hour Cost of Project Management Support for eDiscovery – Aggregate Summer 2021
10. What is the per GB cost to conduct predictive coding as part of technology-assisted review during the document review phase of eDiscovery?10 – Review Pricing – Per GB Cost to Conduct Predictive Coding in a Technology-Assisted Review – Aggregate Summer 2021
11. What is the cost per hour for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?11 – Review Pricing – Per Hour Cost for Document Review Attorneys to Review Documents – Aggregate Summer 2021
12. What is the cost per document for document review attorneys to review documents during the review phase of eDiscovery?12 – Review Pricing – Per Document Cost for Document Review Attorneys to Review Documents – Aggregate Summer 2021
13. In which geographical region do you primarily conduct eDiscovery-related business?13 – Survey Respondents by Geographic Region – Aggregate Summer 2021
14. Which of the following segments best describes your business in eDiscovery?14 – Survey Respondents by Organizational Segment – Aggregate Summer 2021
15. What area best describes your primary function in the conduct of your organization’s eDiscovery business?15 – Survey Respondents by Primary Function – Aggregate Summer 2021
An Aggregate Overview of Survey Responses (Six Surveys)16 – Survey Respondents (Individual and Aggregate Overview) – Aggregate Summer 2021
Past eDiscovery Pricing Surveys
- Summer 2021 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (June 2021)
- Winter 2021 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (December 2020)
- Summer 2020 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (May 2020)
- Winter 2020 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (December 2019)
- Summer 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (June 2019)
- Winter 2019 eDiscovery Pricing Survey (December 2018)
Generative Artificial Intelligence and Large Language Model Use
ComplexDiscovery OÜ recognizes the value of GAI and LLM tools in streamlining content creation processes and enhancing the overall quality of its research, writing, and editing efforts. To this end, ComplexDiscovery OÜ regularly employs GAI tools, including ChatGPT, Claude 2, Midjourney, and DALL-E3, to assist, augment, and accelerate the development and publication of both new and revised content in posts and pages published (initiated in late 2022).
ComplexDiscovery also provides a ChatGPT-powered AI article assistant for its users. This feature leverages LLM capabilities to generate relevant and valuable insights related to specific page and post content published on ComplexDiscovery.com. By offering this AI-driven service, ComplexDiscovery OÜ aims to create a more interactive and engaging experience for its users, while highlighting the importance of responsible and ethical use of GAI and LLM technologies.
Have a Request?
If you have information or offering requests that you would like to ask us about, please let us know, and we will make our response to you a priority.
ComplexDiscovery is a distinguished digital publication that delivers journalistic insights into cybersecurity, information governance, and eDiscovery developments and technologies. It adeptly navigates the intersection of these sectors with international business and current affairs, transforming relevant developments into informational news stories. This unique editorial approach enables professionals to gain a broader perspective on the intricacies of the digital landscape for informed strategic decision-making.
Incorporated in Estonia, a nation celebrated for its digital innovation, ComplexDiscovery OÜ adheres to the most rigorous standards of journalistic integrity. The publication diligently analyzes global trends, assesses technological breakthroughs, and offers in-depth appraisals of services involving electronically stored information. By contextualizing complex legal technology issues within the broader narrative of worldwide commerce and current events, ComplexDiscovery provides its readership with indispensable insights and a nuanced understanding of the eDiscovery industry.