Content Assessment: Digital Life is Life? OpenText Buys Micro Focus
Information - 91%
Insight - 89%
Relevance - 89%
Objectivity - 88%
Authority - 93%
A short percentage-based assessment of the qualitative benefit of the recent announcement by OpenText of the completion of its acquisition of Micro Focus.
Editor’s Note: From time to time, ComplexDiscovery highlights publicly available or privately purchasable announcements, content updates, and research from cyber, data, and legal discovery providers, research organizations, and ComplexDiscovery community members. While ComplexDiscovery regularly highlights this information, it does not assume any responsibility for content assertions.
To submit recommendations for consideration and inclusion in ComplexDiscovery’s cyber, data, and legal discovery-centric service, product, or research announcements, contact us today.
Press Announcement (January 31, 2023)
OpenText Buys Micro Focus
Previously Announced Acquisition Closed
OpenText™ (NASDAQ: OTEX), (TSX: OTEX) announced today that it has closed the previously announced acquisition (the “Acquisition”) of Micro Focus International plc (“Micro Focus”), a leading provider of mission-critical software technology and services that help customers accelerate digital transformation.
“I would like to welcome Micro Focus customers, partners and employees to OpenText,” said OpenText CEO & CTO Mark J. Barrenechea. “Digital life is life, and with Micro Focus’ great products and talent, we will help organizations of all sizes accelerate their digital transformation.”
Barrenechea further added, “With this acquisition, OpenText’s corporate mission expands to help enterprise professionals secure their operations, gain more insight into their information, and better manage an increasingly hybrid and complex digital fabric with a new generation of tools that include Cybersecurity, Digital Operations Management, Applications Modernization & Delivery and AI & Analytics. This new generation of Information Management software will help organizations accelerate their digital transformation and drive growth while reducing costs.”
Preliminary Financial Overview
Further information on our financial performance, as well as updated models, will be provided when OpenText reports its second quarter Fiscal 2023 financial & business results on February 2, 2023.
Closing Terms of the Acquisition
- Total purchase price of approximately $5.8 billion, inclusive of Micro Focus’ cash and debt, subject to final adjustments
- Total purchase price is 2.3x Micro Focus’ TTM revenues(1)
- Total purchase price is 6.7x Micro Focus’ TTM adjusted EBITDA(2)
- Immediately accretive to F’23 adjusted EBITDA dollars
- Expected to be on the OpenText operating model within 6 full quarters or sooner
- Net leverage(3) expected to be less than 3x within 8 full quarters or sooner
- Consistent with previously announced cost synergies of $400 million, expect to balance the combined company through an approximate 8% workforce reduction due to the acquisition of Micro Focus
“We have a structured and disciplined approach to M&A. The last six months of planning has led us to a defined integration plan to deliver on our committed outcomes. We are ready and excited about winning the Information Management market, strong customer outcomes, and company growth and expanded cash flows,” concluded Barrenechea.
OpenText, The Information Company™, enables organizations to gain insight through market leading information management solutions, powered by OpenText Cloud Editions. For more information about OpenText (NASDAQ: OTEX, TSX: OTEX) visit opentext.com.
Note: All dollar amounts in this press release are in US dollars unless otherwise indicated.
(1) TTM revenue represents Micro Focus’ unaudited revenue for the twelve months ended October 31, 2022, excluding Digital Safe revenue, based on IFRS standards.
(2) TTM adjusted EBITDA is a non-IFRS financial measure and represents Micro Focus’ unaudited adjusted EBITDA for the twelve months ended October 31, 2022, excluding Digital Safe.
(3) Consolidated Net Leverage Ratio (pro forma) is calculated using bank covenant methodology.
- Investments in eDiscovery (A Running Listing)
- An Abridged Look at the Business of eDiscovery: Mergers, Acquisitions, and Investments
Have a Request?
If you have information or offering requests that you would like to ask us about, please let us know and we will make our response to you a priority.
ComplexDiscovery is a premier online publication renowned for providing essential insights and intelligence in the realms of cybersecurity, information governance, and legal discovery to professionals navigating these fields. As a leading source of information, the publication expertly combines original research with aggregated news to cater to a highly specialized audience. Committed to enhancing readers’ understanding of relevant topics, ComplexDiscovery stands as an impartial and comprehensive resource for exploring trends, technologies, and services associated with electronically stored information.
The driving force behind this influential publication is ComplexDiscovery OÜ, a technology marketing firm that excels in strategic planning and tactical execution for organizations operating within these sectors. Registered as a private limited company in Estonia, a global leader in digital advancements, ComplexDiscovery OÜ dedicates its primary focus to supporting the publication. The company capitalizes on its virtual presence to provide marketing consulting and services to a diverse array of clients around the world, further solidifying its reputation as a leading voice in the eDiscovery ecosystem.