This Section explores the requirements for scanning services, which are mainly commodity items, with some room for added value in terms of the approach to project management and unitisation.
Overall Considerations #
It is expected that documents will mainly comprise single sided black and white A4 pages. There might be some colour pages, and document sizes other than A4. These are normally dealt with by an exception process.
The documents will normally be provided from [CLIENT] offices, though occasionally they might need to be collected from clients. The collection and transport of files/documents to and from the supplier will be the responsibility of the supplier.
It is proposed that the scanning work will be carried out at the supplier’s site, however, it is the responsibility of the supplier to meet [CLIENT] security and document-tracking requirements in order for this option to be followed.
An optimal process needs to be identified which will ensure accurate document scanning including physical unitisation at a document level.
The documents to be scanned will normally be provided in banker’s boxes. Within these boxes, the documents will be sub-divided into individual files that vary in size, type and binding.
Example Requirements #
The activities to be completed by the selected provider are:
- Document / file preparation.
- Physical unitisation.
- Electronic scanning.
- 100% Quality control.
- Reassembly of documents / files.
- Objective coding and logical unitisation.
- Electronic BATES numbering – post scanning and quality control processing.
- Delivery of single-page tiff images with unitisation and coded information for loading into the litigation support environment.
In order to carry out these activities the provider will need to:
- Enter into a call-off contract with [CLIENT].
- Dedicate the required facilities at their site.
- Resource the required operations.
- Provide an experienced project manager to manage individual projects.
- Provide periodic reporting on project status.
- Manage the project budget to ensure costs are monitored and controlled.
Possible Quotation Format #
Please provide pricing for the following items.
Scan, OCR and BATES number 100,000 pages. The pages are contained in 333 files, each file holding 300 pages, estimated 3 pages per document. If charged separately please shown the cost of preparing the pages and then re-constituting the files, and the provision of logical unitisation information.
Please provide the cost for the provision of each of the services shown below. [CLIENT] have “weighted” these costs as an overall percentage of processing 100,000 pages to reflect their real life experience of the frequency of these requirements being needed. For example, roughly 15% of the pages encountered by [CLIENT] also need glasswork copying before they can be scanned, whilst other services occur at even smaller percentages.
The services are:
- Glasswork A4 B/W Scan
- Large Format Scan (i.e. A3 and above)
- A4 Colour Scan
- Glasswork A4 Colour Scan
- Large Format Scan Colour
- Re-Binds (Documents that have to be un-bound before they can be scanned and then reconstituted in a bound state)
Suppliers should also quote for the cost of providing load files, DVD and any project management / professional services surrounding the scanning.
If there are any other costs associated with the provision of scanning services, suppliers should show them in their completed quotations.
A potential layout for a quotation spreadsheet is shown below: